Monday, September 29, 2008

iSpy Recap

iSpy was in many ways, very shocking for me. Not because I was learning things I didn't know already but because Andrejevic concisely recounted all the various ways our supposed freedom doesn't exactly exist. The concept of the digital enclosure finally put a name on an image that I had been slowly developing in my mind. One where walls were slowly being erected the more times I swiped that Shoppers Club card or drove through the E-Z Pass lane. iSpy forced me to reassess my place in that enclosure. And to determine, now that I know where those boundaries lie, what I'm going to do about it. Andrejevic presents his arguments to shock people into understanding but leaves it up to us, the "savvy citizen", to decide how we're going to change this culture of surveillance to one of democratic participation and potential.

No comments: