Thursday, October 2, 2008

Live Blog for Class 10/2/08

12:10 - Twitter? Trying to figure out how to make it work. Adrienne made page now lets figure out how to actually use it....

12:22 - Compromise on Twitter. Volunteers for Twittering the debate. Guys? Anyone?

12:22 - How do you access Twitter w/o a laptop or TV? Come on guys lets not act like we're technologically illiterate.

12:26 - Millennials complain that other generations don't know how to work technologies ("jeez mom its just email"), but this class is currently acting like we've never used things like this before. 

12:29 - Beating a dead horse.

12:31 - Still beating it....

12:39 - I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of brain cells were just murdered. "omg, twitter me, tweet me, follow me, like omg, idk, omg...." Definitely have a headache now.

12:44 - Do we have to be in a group to identify ourselves?....."It's not about you." vs. self marketing??

12:48 - "You cannot be you outside of society."

12:50 - Value inclusivity. 

12:52 - Group vs. individuality. Different kind of formation of groups and how we identity ourselves within that group. Key factor in re-defining democracy. Peer learning communities and the power of social networking?

12:55 - checking for predators.....(aka awkward silence....)

12:58 - wow. they're actually doing a techno trash art sculpture. thats pretty awesome

1:05 - freerice.com not that i believe everything on wikipedia but here's possible verification. Apparently we're not the only ones wondering....Harvard is too.

1:08 - Is clicking on rice grains a viable form of democratic participation?

1:17 - Important to install curiosity in the public. How do you get our generation involved? Treat us like 5 year olds? "Super big, super colorful, videos..." (I'm kinda worried about that.) What would millennial politics look like?? -"Like a video game?" How would you get people involved in topics such as the economic crisis? 

1:20 - sit around w/ friends, drink beer, watch the debate and twitter.....

2 comments:

J said...

wow--I gotta say, I love this. I'm completely fascinated. One point you raise which I've been thinking about all term: you guys are supposed to be totally tech-savvy but folks were acting like the twitter stuff was like running an experiment in the large hadron collider. What gives?

Becky, Sam, Merel, James, Adrienne, Asa said...

This is pretty cool.

I touched upon the point made about students being tech-savvy but freaking out in my blog. I was one of the people so confused.

I think it comes with all new things and I am foreign to. I tend to over react and think that the task is impossible to learn. When there is something new to learn, right away the first instinct is to be overwhelmed and confused and not take the time to listen and learn. I wonder what other people think about this? I am glad that discussion with Twitter occurred because I learned how to react the nest time I learn something new.

Sam