Thursday, October 16, 2008

McCain-Obama Way Too Friendly??

I was just exploring the CSPAN Debate Hub that JD suggested when I came across a blog that had a recent post entitled, "McCain-Obama Way Too Friendly" that said,

"One thing I liked about the Bush/Gore Debates is that it was obvious both men loathed each other and they didn't care who knew it. That liberated them, for good and ill...You look at the way [McCain] sneered at Romney in the primary debates and compare it with his tentativeness toward Obama."

Now I clearly don't have authority on claiming who hates whom etc but from watching last night's debate it was obvious (to me at least) that they both despised each other. It was especially evident given their physical proximity. During the first two debates they were quite far away from each other, either at podiums or roaming around the room. But last night they were at the same table, only a few feet away and the physical animosity seemed to be at a peak. 

Not to mention the verbal attacks. Last night the conversation got almost vicious at times. Not that the specific things they were saying were mean or hateful; it was the short, stinging nature of the comments that led to the overall tone. The two candidates clearly couldn't stand what the other was saying and used both sarcasm and interruptions to get that point across. So, I don't know what debate the author was watching because there was clear animosity between McCain and Obama.

4 comments:

JD Pribor said...

One thing that I found very interesting was their interaction at the end. When John McCain said "Good Job!, Good Job!, Good Job!" really fast and did not seem sincere at all.

I will admit that I am a John McCain fan (more so of McCain from January than McCain of now), but last night really angered me. The way he tried to attack Obama and get fired up about silly things and not the issues. I made me think about why I went and supported him in primaries in NH and FL.

Obama seemed like he was really annoyed but he kept his cool, while McCain looked like (I hate to say it) one of my crazy uncles after a few to many at a family dinner party (they get interesting , let me tell you). I just hope that we can here more positive things about the issues in the comming weeks before the election just to get some of this bad taste out of my mouth.

J said...

Cory--I agree with your criticism of the author; these were not friendly guys.

JD--agreed; this is not the McCain of January. It's a shame; it's damaging his reputation; it's like he'll do anything to win.

Jen, the Cookie Empress said...

It's sad because both have intelligent things to say but the bantering makes them look like four-year-olds at a playground.
"He hit me!" "He said this" "Did not" "Did too!" "Nuh-uh!!" "Uh-huh!!"
I want to go back to the reasonable, well thought out arguments about what McCain/Obama beleived in and not what the other did/did not believe in/do.

J said...

I said Cory when I should have said Catherine--sorry!